Monday, August 18, 2008

Great Quote

"I suggest that this is a good time to think soberly about our responsibilities to our descendants – those who will ring out the Fossil Fuel Age," said Adm. Hyman G. Rickover, father of the nuclear Navy.

I found this in an article by Rod Dreher, who wrote a great piece in the
Dallas Morning News
about why America is psychologically unprepared for the ramifications of peak oil - mainly the belief that we can do whatever want without incurring unintended or negative side effects. I still believe in the future of this country, its just hard to see so many people living so foolishly, and so selfishly, and to believe that they will make moral and ethical choices in a time of scarcity, when all we've been raised on is the philosophy of unending abundance.

I believe in the fundamental goodness of people. I also believe in their capacity to do evil. The wildcard is usually the choice between the two.

No comments: